Back in October of 2021, we announced the upcoming release of our first professional coffee grinder, the Orbit. While this post is not a release post, it is a detailed update on our product.
We’ve been working hard to bring the grinder to fruition. Thank you to our friends at Weber Workshops for their contribution and advice on one of the next additions to our line-up.
To stay up to date on the release, join our official newsletter mailing list here.
Watch our introduction video below.
After plenty of testing and refinement, we completed the final prototype. The grinder now includes many different functions including:
- 64 mm flat burrs
- Stepless adjustment
- Single dosing which contributes to lower grind retention
- Multifunction button – RPM (revolution per minute) presets
- Reverse burr
- Compatible with other 64 mm burrs, e.g. SSP
- LED spotting light
- App connectivity
The Orbit can also be connected with our latest Lunar 2021 scale to include the ability of grinding by weight. The grinder will include a platform that the Acaia espresso scale can be magnetically latched to by just placing it below the main body.
Our upcoming grinder will also be paired with a smartphone app in a similar manner to our scale collection. The app, which will be available on both the Google Play and Apple App Store, will let the user customize their grinder. It also provides access to advanced functions including:
- 3 presets A B C, plus Manual. Can be used with Lunar or without
- Adjustable RPM profiles - set one RPM to start, set start RPM hold time, set second RPM to end, set second RPM hold time
- Manual mode live adjustment of RPM
- Graphs show realtime RPM from each grind cycle
Expected Release Date
While the grinder is now in one of its final stages, there is still time for more features to be decided upon.
Our expected release date is summer 2022. The first production run will be designated as the “Eclipse Edition.” Those who know our history might recognize the naming convention with the Lunar’s “Eclipse Edition.” This is an early production model, which means that with customer feedback, some features may change and be incorporated into later production models.
Details of the Orbit “Eclipse Edition” include:
- Released in a series of drops. The drop schedule will be advertised beforehand.
- Extended product support.
- Available in the US only. We will not be shipping to freight forwarders or warehouses. We want to be able to fully support this product with our service team in Portland, OR.
- Priced at US$1350.
To keep up to date, including information on the Orbit or other Acaia product announcements, we highly recommend joining our official newsletter mailing list here.